FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - So with all of this talk of AV
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #34
RangerGrrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
That is not as backasswards as it may sound. Allowing only native venomous snakes to be kept means that in the even of an envenomation, antivenom will be available. It also increases the likelihood that the physicians that immediately tend to the patient won't kill him before the venom does.
That part makes sense, along with the idea of no non-native venomous getting a chance to set up feral populations. (Although knowing the GA DNR, that may not be WHY they did it, even if the results are good.) I was more thinking about the "native ban" on non-venomous. I find it stupid mainly because the government doesn't back up their laws with knowledge or enforcement. I know people who've been stopped while transporting "illegal" reptiles through GA from one legal state to another, and DNR wanted to confiscate the snakes, until the person flat out lied and told them it was a legal species. The employee didn't have a clue what legal vs. illegal looked like, so he let him go. It isn't good for ANYONE when the regulating authority is incompetent......