FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Terri Sommella Fire and Ice Dragons -- Nightmare
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #180
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
They all are sold as that

It's not unusual for young dragons do go through cycles of coccidia and pinworms, its how they build their immune system. They do increase with stress especially if they experience drastic changes. When that happens, they overwhelm the animals system. That is one thing that we as breeders can help avoid and where I think Terri falls down badly (if in fact she is the one raising these babies, I have my doubts there).

There is a reason that some breeder run into few adjustment problems with their babies in new homes and some run into a lot of them.... its in how they are raised those first few months, the contact they have with humans and knowing that change is not something to fear which causes them to stress so badly.

You have to care about these, and let them know that humans are a source of good things, they need a lot of people contact and exposure to the type of setups they will be moving into when sold. I have raised many differenet species and never had another one that was like beardies in needing this... it is one of the things that is making them the most popular of the lizards species in the US now... they learn to enjoy and seek human contact.

When they have had little handling, and no viewing contact with humans, then move to a new home in an open enclouse with people who want contact with them, they are freaking out and go downhill... that is not the new owners fault! That starts a cycle that is hard to get over with them, once they are adjusted to the new home, they are ill with parasitic overload, which harms their immune system, then they need meds that also effect other things in them... it can become a nightmare cycle.
These statements have intrigued me. I think this is why my pair of dragons are so stressed. Could you suggest anything to aid in this???