FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Evan Stahl - Sent Me Sick Pine Snakes
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #62
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
I lost a green tree python several years back. I was out of town for a funeral, and she appeared to have a respiratory infection when I got home. I took her to the ER, because I got home on a Sunday.

She had some wheezing, so the vet prescribed Baytril injections (they were out of ceftazidime, a preferred medication). She died the next day. I took her to my regular herp vet for a necropsy, and we decided to have individual histological exams done on internal organs, as well as cultures of respiratory fluids.

When everything was done, I spent over $700 for the necropsy. I only had it done because I had several high-end chondros in my collection, and I was worried about something contagious. I paid $3k for that particular snake, and wanted to know why she died. The results were indeterminate.

People have suggested that the OP should've had a necropsy done. That kind of expense just isn't feasible for most people. If a pre-existing condition were found, the buyer could reasonably expect to be reimbursed for the cost of the animal, but the necropsy expense is on them. Who can afford to spend hundreds, to only be reimbursed for a fraction of that cost?

Just some additional thoughts on the matter.

Kathy
I've had 2 necropsies done at 2 different times. The first snake died from something akin to rabies (same principle) ... samples were sent to a university in Florida, it was never determined exactly what virus it died from.

The other was undetermined causes, but likely fatty liver disease (rescued snake).

These were performed years ago, so I'm not sure on the cost now, but they were over $500 each.