FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads)
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #33
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Here's a sticky situation that I wouldn't be sure how to handle without being able to post in an advertisement, and I would like to know the procedure if posting does eventually get turned off.

I often skim ads for species that I know are State or Federally endangered, species of special concern, or subjected to different sorts of protection depending upon the state. Recently, there was an advertisement for spotted turtles in Rhode Island selling for $250 each, when Rhode Island has extremely clear laws about the ownership (permit required) and selling (absolutely not permitted) of spotted turtles. The seller wasn't violating any Faunaclassifieds rules that I know of in his advertisement, but he was violating state law.

In this situation, do we report the ad to a moderator to get it locked, or do we post in the BOI despite the fact the seller has not violated any Faunaclassifieds rules? I would be extremely reluctant to contact sellers in this situation, because poaching is such a huge problem for many of these species. For example, I used to know a biologist who, after showing a "friend" his bog turtle study site, later returned to find that every single wild bog turtle had been captured and presumably sold to the pet trade. Considering all of the problems we're having with the U.S. Legislature trying to pass laws against reptile ownership, this is a relatively uncommon situation but it needs to be addressed immediately when it does happen.
It is impractical for management of this site to know every state, local, federal, and international law concerning animals and products offered for sale, or listed as being wanted on this site. And quite honestly, we are not going to take on that sort of responsibility. To claim that we are would then put us into substantial legal liability in that the presumption would be that anything offered here is legal in all ways in all localities. All transactions are solely between the parties involved, and it is entirely THEIR responsibility to determine any legalities that such transaction might involve them in.

If you see something taking place that you know is illegal in the context of the offering, then you should contact the legal authorities who would have jurisdiction in this matter. It is their responsibility to deal with such issues, and have the authority to do so.