FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - rusty pacific gopher?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
Ever hear of phenotypical elasticity?

There's a slight variation in the appearance of every animal, some species are simply capable of developing a more dramatic difference or a more visually obvious one.

This trend that tries to pin every single odd colored scale or wierd looking snake as being a new genetic morph is doing nothing more than sending the industry down the toilet and giving crooks and shady dealers a chance to rip people off.

Chad, I'm pretty sure you already know that I have no respect whatsoever for you, your intelligence or your work. You produce hybrid mutts without even a second's thought given to the potential results once they're out of your hands, you have proven on another thread that you have no understanding of basic biology, mendelian genetics or any of the terms and phrases used when discussing reptile phenotypes...

But fishing around to try and stick a label on this thing is lower than I even expected from you.

See all that dark brown all over the snake?

It's not hypomelanistic.

It may be a localized breeding population that has developed a slightly different color pattern due to semi-isolation from other breeding groups but the most it could be labeled as then is a locale specific animal (Much like you get with say... alterna) and the pattern isn't a simple recessive. There's also a slim chance that you have located an area of subspecific intergradiation and that the animal(s) you found aren't pure subspecies (By the definition of a species, these crosses are naturally occuring). Have you tried doing a scale count to determine exactly what it is that you've got there? Visual markings are the obvious clues but in an animal that was found outside the natural range for a pure subspecific animal with a minor deviation to it's appearance, it's worth double checking.

Just a couple questions...

Isn't field collection without the appropriate permits illegal in California?

Heck, isn't possesion of a native species without paperwork proving that it's CB also illegal?

Have you got the needed permit(s) to field collect?

What god-awful monstrosity are you planning on creating with it once it reaches breedable age? After you determine exactly what and why it is what it is, I'm betting that you'll try to make it breed with your dog since you have no respect whatsoever for biology as a STUDY of the natural world.