FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Just what we need. "UPDATE: Deadly Snake Still Missing In Onslow County"
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn...5-23-0014.html

Quote:
Jessica Wisman says, "Out of the corner of my eye I saw something coming, before I realized it, it was a snake coming at us and I jumped and ran into the house and all I saw was a silver head with a black circle and a white circle surrounding it." Wisman lives in Onslow County on Winners Circle.

Snake experts confirmed what Jessica Wisman saw was a monocled cobra, a snake with venom that can cause death almost immediately. Jennifer Grooms with HERP Wildlife Rescue says they spotted the cobra coiled up underneath this deck and tore the deck apart but after hours, they could not find the snake.

"Most people need to be aware of when they are walking outside, don't be barefoot. After it rains we tend to have a little more activity with our snakes," says Grooms. And if you spot the snake, "Stand still. Stand completely still and back away very slowly. Never turn your back on any animal," says Grooms.

Where it came from is still a mystery. Neighbors say a few weeks ago someone posted flyers about two missing pet snakes. Grooms says there is a chance an animal rights group released it on purpose to scare people, so the state will ban exotic animals.

If you see a skinny, long unique looking snake call Animal Control immediately. Animal Control says it is illegal to have a venomous snake in Onslow County.