FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Field Collectors@#*&!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2003, 12:08 AM   #1
herpetological
Field Collectors@#*&!!!

I haven't posted in some time. Been very busy. I just came back from a vaction/collecting/photography trip in the S.E. U.S. I finally had some time to put in some long overdue roadrunning here in S. Fl. I figured I stop at an old building and check on the way out. This place is right off the road but, posted private property. I've had permission to collect here for years and have always seen specimens. Usually there are dozens of fresh skins at any given time.(Yellow/Red rats) When I pulled up I was NOT happy! The doors had been torn off and split open ,walls were torn down, insulation and most of the ceilings removed, door and window frames asunder!! Plus the most obvious collecting signs...faint smell of gas and a pile of skins. I don't care if anyone else collects here. Even though I have permission to kick anyone off the property. But, THIS IS THE LAST STRAW! I'm sure this is the same bunch that is causing traffic jams out on the roads in the Okeechobee Prairie area. The building is on the way out to that area from these guy's county. The road running problem and this problem has just started recently. This area used to be collected by a few locals out there and some researchers. Now these unseasoned greedy collectors are crowding the area with 8-10 cars a night and 4-wheelers. The residents are calling the law and complaining! The local guys are threatining well...... It would be like having the same bunch driving up and down my road at night. If I was a normal person I would be uneasy. Most of the locals and a few of us who go out there have stopped by these peoples houses and spoke with them. They were thankful for us having enough respect to stop and explain. They were supportive. We were careful not to get too close to the houses or shine lights in their yards. Yes, it's mostly farms. Now they have a crowd tripping over each other and trespassing etc. Also, they are so greedy and unseasoned that I followed one and picked up the snakes he missed. Plus the DOA's ! Yes, they are running over the very snakes they are trying to catch! You guys think this is productive or intelligent? It damn sure is not helping the wildlife. Think your going to find the mole kings? Good luck! I'm sure you all don't fall in this category?Besides I collect in the very areas you guys live in and I do very well! Not talented enough to find roads in your area? Again, I don't care until it's the animal's loss. Yes, you can collect where you want. Guess what? I not going to let any of the disrespectful morons slide when I find them on the farms, buildings and private roads that I have permission to collect on! I've collected for over 30 years and can still go to those same areas today. Your burning your own "bridges" and giving collectors a bad name!Well I know I have more to say on this issue. But, we'll leave it at this. No names.These guys know who they are. Remember, Karma. Everyone else, I hope your doing well in the field and enjoying it. I'll post some field reports and pics later. I'm just a bit aggrivated.Sorry! Thanks, Ray Goushaw Herpetological Breeding Research