FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Venomoids, the right and the wrong.
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #89
Strike_Force_Reptiles
i do not do it for me. i have been bit more times than i can remember by venomous not venomoids. i could have been killed when i was 5 because i didnt know what snakes were and sure didnt know they could kill me and when i was left outside alone i found 3 baby copperheads that i started to poke and then i ran got a big mason jar came back and picked them up and put them in the jar. i played another 45 mins or an hour then took them in the house to show my mom. lucky they didnt bite me cause i was the kinda kid that wouldnt run tell mom i got hurt i would just keep playing. yes copperheads a very rare to kill someone but a 5 year old could die from 1. i want to teach these kids what they look like, and what to do if they see one as well as what not to do. i do not do shows for kids with exotics only snakes from our state. parents dont seem to watch their kids anymore and therfore kids can get into all kinds of thing including venomous snakes. it is better to do all you can to stop it before it happens than to wait til after it happens and wonder what could i have done to stop it. i could bring up how dangerous it could be to do shows with large non venomous but then everyone would just say its not dangerous lol an animal is an animal and they are just like us with there good days and their bad days, at anytime those nice snakes can say ok ive had enough. try getting a 18' burm off a 10 year old or even and adult. the fact is responsibility remains on the handler not on what others think so if the handler feels he should go the extra step to use a venomoid for extra safty to protect others then great and if not and something does happen we could all wonder if only... going the extra mile to keep yourself and others around you safe is responsability. short cuts should never be taken