FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Man feeds kitten to burmese python in UK
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
AbsoluteApril
I've been avoiding reading this thread as a huge cat lover (I do like rodents as well, my first pets were mice and rats) but finally made myself take a look.

My main outrage was why and how he did it... "At the end of the seven-minute footage there is a chillingly threat of more 'feeding videos'." he knows doing this would elicit an emotional outcry from people, he put the kitten in a santa hat... he distracted it so it was not aware there was a predator nearby. He was IMO doing it only to be cruel.

I have heard about wild pythons taking dogs (and chickens) from people's property, makes sense cats may be taken as well (heck, coyotes and racoons will kill/eat cats here in CA). It's this person's motives that irk me. Do I think snakes should be fed dogs or cats? No, I do not. Just my opinion, my very biased cat loving opinion. Yes, I know that makes me a bit of a hypocrite since I have fed mice, rats and rabbits to my snakes, all of which can also make good pets. The main difference in my eyes is that those animals I fed were specifically raised for food and were killed in a humane manner with as little suffering as possible (it can take a long time for a big snake to kill a jumbo rat, the rat suffers). Plus, feeding any kind of live animal, especially another predator, to a snake is always a danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method919 View Post
Feeding live vs dead is a separate issue. I personally feel (for what should be obvious reasons morally) that live prey should never be offered unless necessary.