FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Please read: Pending Lawsuit from Venomous Snake Bite
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 08:53 PM   #95
COBRAMAN
Quote:
Disclaimers don't do anything. Look at cigarettes, alcohol, and everything else. Telling someone not to do something doesnt neccesarily mean that by looking at one of your photos, they won't do it.
No need to be sorry, I never took offence to anything you wrote. I seem to be immune to those type posts as well as a few venoms. I respect your opinions, and welcome your comments, BUT I wish you would have taken it up with me instead of making the issue by unathorized use of one of my own pictures on the internet. No biggie.

I realize that my disclaimer may not stop some unsupervised kid from doing something stupid, but if they are that stupid to copy everything they see on tv or the internet, they will simply have to learn the hard way like I did. Every action of a kid (as well as adults) has it's own consequences. If a kid is going to smoke, he is going to smoke. If he is going to pick up venomous snakes, he is going to do it with or without my pictures. Again, I don't see you posting against Bill Haast (who has been doing this far longer than I, and gets far more publicity than I do). I can not take on the responsibility of raising every child that has access to the internet or tv. That is the parents job. Only one out of every 100 comments I get about the photos on my web site are of a negative nature. Should I not share with the other 99 because one person does not like what they see. When I see a violent tv program, I simply change the channel. I don't call the broadcasters and tell them that they are creating killers out of the unsupervised kids that are watching the program. There must be many other things on the internet that can pose a problem for these kids than the photos on my site, but IF the kid is stupid enough to try to copy me, and IF the parents are willing to buy them the venomous snake, and IF the seller is willing to risk his business by selling the kid the snake, than that stupid kid is going to learn the hard way that it is wise to heed the disclaimers on some of these sites. However, all that is simply speculation as I still have not heard of a kid getting hurt because he copied a photo off a site such as mine. If it starts to become an issue, I will then consider removing the pictures.

I also should note that it appears that you yourself have a false assumption about my handling techniques based on the photos you have seen of me. I DO NOT handle venomous snakes all the time the way it may appear in the photos on my site. I do use propper safety equipment, and I have gone through a great deal of time and money to stock appropriate antivenoms. I may allow people to take odd photos of me, but that is not my norm when it comes to venomous snake handling. You would have learned this had you contacted me prior to posting what you posted. I respect your opinions, and expect you to respect my opinions. No hard feelings.

Be Blessed!
Ray Hunter