FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Georgia state law issues
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #97
LittleGrayTiger
Has anyone actually considered getting the ball rolling on changing the GA laws concerning native nonvenomous snakes? I see no reason why the law shouldn't be amended to include at the bare minimum the kinds of blatant color morphs that simply don't exist in the wild, if not also localities that do not naturally occur in GA (such as the Miami phase). Corn snakes are bred in such huge numbers in captivity that I sincerely doubt legalizing morphs would cause much if any uptick in illegal wild take of corns. I also find it completely ludicrous that the law has been written in such a way that someone's 15 year old wholly domestic Snow corn snake can be confiscated while the owner is fined $1000 to "protect wildlife". I mean come on.

If I move to that state this summer (strong possibility) I'd like to contact DNR and speak with them on it. I'd love to get a pair of corn snakes, but I will have to wait until my living situation is certain.

Has anyone gotten the educational permit? Any idea of what's required (like hours, how to get said hours, etc)?