FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - snake mites
Thread: snake mites
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
yeloowtang
I'm no expert on mites but from what i have researched.. rodent mites will not go for reptiles, but they will kill your rodents in time..
I would think that you are dealing with two diferent types of mites.

not that uncomon to see rodents whiped out by mites..many feeder breeders lose entire collections and need to cull them all

what are you using for the reptiles and rodents as a remedy to eradicate the mites ???

for the reptiles, in over 10 years of keeping reptiles, i only had mites once come in from a well known breeder !!!! even if his 3 snakes were the only ones with hem , i treated my entire collection to make 100% sure to never see them again..

for the snakes i found that the absolute best treatment was the
NIX shampoo in the 2oz bottles 1% active ingredients, diluted in 4 litters of distilled water.. safe for reptiles and works like a charm, lots of info out there regarding this..
using this exact product is important, it comes in a package with 2 bottles from any pharmacy..don't use the solution with 3% active ingredients that can be foud.. there's a video of some poor girl who tried to treat her small snake and she poisoned it... forums went balistic with the use of NIX
BUT
this girl used the 3% solution in 1L of water the dosage was way out there and the poor snake became tatergic and died

another good option is pro vent a mite..this is stronger then NIX but what many don't know is that it uses the exact same active ingredients as NIX but double the dose, witch is why animals need to not be exposed and cages need to be vented out before re introduced.. verry effective product but cost more and more complicated to use..
something elese many don't know is that it's the same product as black knight bug spray that was use in airliners to make sure bed bugs didn't hitch a ride..

invermectine from the vet can also be used as a spray on, but not as effective, it loses it's potency once mixed. (i forget what rate) but something like 50% after 24h and then again each day so after a few days you're just spraying water ??

it can be injected but needs to be dosed vary carefully..since overdose is leathal, product was designed for pigs and horses and said to be safe on reptiles but only dosed carfully..

invermectine could be used on your rodents but the way it works , is the mites die after biting the host..

NIX could also work very well for rats..

for both, you need to empty all cages , rid of all bedding, clean extremly well, spray everything, everywhere and repeat twice more with 1 week in between to be safe..
normally, the first treatment will rid them all, you just want to be extra sure to get every single one of them.
this method will even kill the eggs, by spraying all around the room, any wondering mite that walks oner a treated area will die shorthly after.

for your rodent room, what some are using are the no pest strips.
these are extremely potent, you only need a small square of it wraped up in foil paper with holes and hang it in the room, the smell will kill every bug in the room.. Must ware gloves to handle it.
I know of some who swear by this even in the snake room!!! but I wouldn't use it in reptile rooms long term.. I never used it myself since NIX did the job
but for rodents... this would work quite well
using this with snakes, you must proceed with caution.. some asian snakes and baby snakes of different species can die from exposure.. research before using with herps

sorry for the long read hope some of this info helps you.. I may have missed a few things, was trying to cram as much as possible in the message..

best of luck

Steph