FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - choosing a reptile
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
hotlips
Besides dogs, snakes are the pets I prefer, & there are many kinds that make better pets than BPs (in my opinion) but it sounds like you want something different now? Since you want something you can handle & interact with, I'd recommend a bearded dragon...but only IF you're prepared for a high-maintenance DAILY pet. They have a lot of personality and love to cuddle...at least the one I rescued years ago did, & he was a male who was feisty toward other male dragons* too. *The only one he ever saw was his own reflection, for which he would (hilariously) display & attack...but with me he was 100% docile. The high maintenance warning comes from the required heat, sunlight, poop-scoop, and especially the complex dietary needs on a daily basis. But if that's something you'd welcome, a beardie may be just the thing. They don't get too large, but they do need a large warm terrarium with both UTH & overhead full-spectrum lighting, with supplemental real sunshine when you can (& NOT that which is filtered thru window glass). The full-spectrum lights (when last I needed to buy them?) don't actually stay "effective" after about 6 mos. & should be replaced (they still give off light & can be used for other lights-only purposes), but be aware that regular replacement can get pricey. As for feeding a bearded dragon, I am big on eating my veggies, fruits & salads, so for me it was more like just sharing: if anything, a beardie can be a good influence for us to eat healthier & they're really fun to watch. But if you live on 'fast food', it might be more of a challenge to feed a bearded dragon, as they need a good diet every day to stay healthy.