FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - choosing a reptile
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #7
crossfire79
Savannah Monitor

The life span of a savannah monitor is about 12 years, I believe you can get away with spending about $10-$15 a week on food for a savannah monitor. When they are young I fed mine about 3 times per week, frozen pinkie mice mostly, crickets, mealworms (depending on your substrate it will promote digging, you just drop them in cage and your lizard will use their tongue to find them latter). When he got bigger I would feed him large quantities but only once or twice a week.

I am not saying that this is optimal care for a monitor. I made a lot of mistakes with mine who just past away after ten years. Perhaps I should not have fed him furry rodents as often as i did, and I definitely should not of let him live his whole life in a glass aquarium.

I have been reading a lot of people feed their savannah monitors fresh ground turkey, a day old chick (good luck finding one of them not frozen), chopped up beef heart. But no one I consider an expert has responded to my question about which of these are okay and in what frequency.

10-15 Crickets 2-3 times a week while less than 1 foot, 20-30 once a week when bigger than 1ft. Once a month I would dust them with D3 vitamin supplement. The care sheet in reptile magazine forum dose not discourage feeding an adult savannah monitor furry rodents. It also says mealworms, large dubia roaches, and grasshoppers you can collect in summer months, are good.

These are just examples, your some google searches and draw your own conclusions. They are probably the easiest monitor to care for.