FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Sexing Prehensile Tailed Skinks
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
seishin
That "hemipenal bulge" may be the "vent area contour" I was referring to. It *seems* to me that (again, sometimes), the male vent area has a recognizable bulge aft of the vent opening, while the female vent area tapers more immediately aft of the vent opening (sort of like in snakes). But I haven't been able to observe enough to be sure, which is why I say it's just a "theory" right now.

Also, the head bulges seem to be more pronounced in Cza's, so female Cza's can resemble male Czz's... (While a male Cza is unmistakeably male!)

Sherri says it's not safe to probe these guys. Philippe de Vosjoli's book show a technique for everting the male hemipenes. But if done improperly it can cause serious crushing trauma... :-L

So far, I've had a high enough success rate with the head/body shape comparison shown in the picture that I haven't messed with any other techniques (I've sexed 15 out of 17 definitively, and have 4 established breeding groups to prove it). But I still have one adult Czz that I haven't been able to sex for sure yet (he or she is housed with three definite females), and one baby I think is female but I'm not *positive* about yet (and that one I don't really have to worry about for a couple more years).

-- Celeste