FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - tremper incubation method
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Seamus Haley
How specific has Tremper gotten in his description of the methods used?

Meaning... leopard geckos aren't my favorite things, I pay attention to them because they are reptiles but only to a certain degree unless a point catches my interest (like this thread). Last I had seen, it was simply stated that the temperatures were raised after the phase of growth encompassing gender determination but before the development of pigment producing cells. Has the timeline become more specific? Has the exact method become more specific? Meaning; there's a big difference between switching the incubation temperature by ten, fifteen degrees over the course of five days or a week and then doing the same within a span of minutes.

I know that the two other individuals who have responded on this thread are a far cry away from the single pair basement breeders who might be screwing this up left and right and baking their babies, but depending on how specific a description was given, there still leaves a great deal of room for personal interpretation into the method, which might result in differing degrees of success.

I do see and acknowledge the point about the potential to misrepresent an animal, IF the animals are sold specifically as breeders, with a strong emphasis on the color as a selling point... But even then, the animals themselves are the color that they appear and they are from a bloodline or group of breeding stock which has the potential to replicate the color, it's just a bit tricker than a direct crossing of animals where the phenotype is entirely genotypical without the environmental influence.