FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - leucistity...little help please
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #33
Patrick Dring
actual leucism vs. "just calling it that"

Hi ppl... I have kept quite a few Pituophis and other colubrids and boids and I think there's "marketing" forces at work here when it comes to names given to a strain..which can be very misleading... for example I bought a pair of "snow" cal kings off BHB a few years back but before I did, I asked is this genuine snow? (i.e. amelanism combined with anerythrism) or is it just a case of taking the blackest like, baja capes or something and crossing it with amelanistic and therefore getting a very white snake (that otherwise would be solid black) and he condifed "yes" it was a melanistic that was amelanistic genetically..
well I just bought a pair of mark bell leucistic s. pines and I wonder where they stand in this sense...they certainly don't seem to have alot of pigment in their eyes (not bluish like the texasrats) is it true leucism or just a albino patternless?
if the latter then i would be very disappointed..because leucistic to me means leucistic.. in the texas ratsnake sense..not some marketing term to butter ppl up with...(not that this has happened, I just want to know what they carry genetically)

as well with the tyrosinase pos. blk ratsnakes ("red phase" as opposed to "white phase") some called them lavendar black rat, which is alot more innocent than calling a patternless albino a leucistic eh?

anyway I'd be interested in hearing of the provenance of the so-called leucistic pines (mark bell strain or otherwise) and whether there are true leucistics or not (and whether his are or aren't)