FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Home owner's insurance for home reptile business?'s
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Killer Chams
I am a property & casualty insurance agent. I own an insurance agency in Texas. I also breed chameleons. I can tell you with 100% certainty. A standard home insurance policy in the state of Texas does not cover exotic pets. It also would not pay for any loss of income from a fire or other peril that destroyed said animals. You may be able to get the insurance company to pay for cages and other supplies that were destroyed. But if you are operating a breeding or wholsale business from the residence they may decide to decline all portions of that loss from the claim. Based on the fact that its a commercial enterprise.
If you want to be insured properly you need to take a detailed inventory of all the animals and supplies and have a detailed price listing the costs of all the items being insured. Take that to your agent and he/she can get you quotes on commercial property coverage. Then you would need to decide if you want to purchse general liability for your business. So that you would be covered if someone was somehow hurt by you while you were in the act of conducting business. Coverage for animal bites is outrageously expensive so you would probably exclude that or the company my MAKE YOU EXCLUDE it in order for them to accept the risk. The costs associated with commercial liability coverage are variable depending on the amt of coverage needed (ie 25,000 per occurence up to say 1 mill per occurrence). Also depends on what types of animals are going to be sold and displayed. If the animals will be transported to other facilities for expos and sales etc... All those things factor into a properly rated insurance policy. Which is basically a contract between you and the insurance company detailing what is covered and what isnt.