FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Home owner's insurance for home reptile business?'s
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
PaulSage
My only input I can add is this: It is my understanding that basic homeowner's insurance does NOT cover living organisms. I know of a local guy who used to propagate $1000's of coral fragments, and when a fire destroyed 1/2 his home along with all of his high-tech aquariums and corals, the insurance company wouldn't cover the loss of the *live* things.

When my mom built a new home on a 40 acre plot, there was an existing old farmhouse that she turned into her exotic bird-breeding facility. (exotic birds to an insurance company = anything that's not poultry). Most insurance companies don't like to combine residences with businesses, but when she found one that would cover the entire property, the business part of the contract had to have a few specific clauses built in (along with $-values) for the actual living creatures. I'm not 100% sure what insurance company she had to go with, but I know it was a farmer-friendly one... Medina Mutal sounds familiar.

For what it's worth...