FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Looking for a Small Snake
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarejewels View Post
I wish I could find a ��. I had a dream that I hognose �� and got bit by it, and I knew it wasn't that big of a deal because their venom isn't exactly lethal. I know they like to eat toads just like we like to eat �� or burgers, and there are plenty of toads near where I live and lizards too. Every once in awhile, we'll get a lizard in the house; and I'll hurry up and catch it and let it go outside or something. They're not the most attractive snakes in the world, but I suppose it'd be cool to have one.
Take care and God bless
Personally, I'd skip keeping an Eastern hognose snake (the ones that primarily eat toads), because even if you have toads where you live, can you actually find a regular supply to get a snake thru all seasons of the year? Please consider that before catching or buying a snake that requires uncommon prey items.

As for their venom, while it's mild & mostly effective on their prey, there are some people who've shown greater sensitivity to it. I've only kept c/b Western hognose snakes before & they were raised on fuzzy mice. ("Burgers" are never appropriate snake food, very high fat content and likely to contain hormones that could be harmful to small snakes as well, not at all like their "normal" food.)