FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - If anyone needs help with dog behavior...
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #27
Bar None Reptiles
House breaking

I work for the local Humane Society and I recently took in a 9 month old "Boston terrier" mix. He definitely looks nothing like it, but since he was born there we at least know what his mother is. He was once adopted and returned for continually digging out. Leave a pupy in the back yard, he's going to dig. But my problem lies in that he will not use the bathroom outside. He has been in the kennel for so long (6 months this time around) and has no idea what it is like to live in a house in a civiized manner. He is crate trained, that is where he is this moment. In the last several days I have only managed to get him to poop outside once. I have been keeping him in his crate at all other times aside from feeding, which I am going to change that today, and being walked outside. I have tried walking him for up to 1 1/2 hours with no results. Would it be better to limit his time outside to say a 15 minute period? If he goes, great! If not, tough luck and back in the crate. Or should I stay out there as long as he needs to go? I am thinking the first, otherwise I will be out there all day. I have to fix this problem. I cannot return him as he is scheduled to be euthanized in 10 days if I don't give him this chance. I won't turn my back on him. I have had huge success with all my other dogs in all aspects of training, but this guy is going to be my greatest challenge. Once we get past this potty issue I'll have him cleaning my house and doing tricks all day just like the others.