FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Noob Questions re: breeding and localities
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by calijo27 View Post
I guess I still just don’t understand why locality is such a big deal? Isn’t it technically only that locality While it’s there in its natural habitat? It seems to me once it’s removed it says natural as morphs are, since natural populations undergo constant changes due to the pressures of the environment and natural selection, but once a wild caught rosies is placed in captive care all those determinants are rendered obsolete and they start to undergo change with every population bred there after. Since natural selection has been removed it doesn’t seem like it’s any more pure than a morph is. I know many believe this is wrong, but can someone explain how? Genuine question, not trying to start arguments here
Quoting this again to point out that this concern (above) has nothing at all to do with crossing; it is a separate -- and interesting -- question.

Also interesting is the comment about morphs (albino, pied, etc): these exist in the genome of wild animals, but rarely are expressed, since phenotypic mutants (that's what they are) are selected against, usually. Morph breeding is the opposite: preserving mutations. Locale breeders don't do this, and so are as close to natural selection as is possible in captivity.