FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Savannah Monitor - Deficiency?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digby Rigby
Now you have these conditions that need to be fixed I give you examples of good food to use and yet you ask why goldfish are not good. Concentrate on what is good or useful not why something isnt. Make the changes I have outlined. You need to concentrate on what works and fixing the problems. As for me I find it a waste of time to ask why things are not appropriate I just care about what is appropriate or if not how I can make it so.
Thyamine levels and a high number of parasites. There's a lot of value in understanding why something is wrong or doesn't work- helps avoid similar pitfalls and allows someone to gain a more complete understanding of the species in question. If YOU didn't know the answer and were merely parroting back something you had heard from another source, as I think is likely, and don't have a legitimate understanding of the subject you probably shouldn't be handing out advice.

Incidentally... the short answer would be to immediately seperate the two animals, double check the conditions of both enclosures and to have a fecal done. Seperate them since stress and dominant behavior from the larger one can lead to long term problems even if there's no overt agression. Double check the environments to make sure it's not a small husbandry slip that's manifesting in one animal first. Fecal testing because the majority of savs are wild caught and parasite loads are a fairly common problem; some take longer to manifest than others and some parasites can remain dormant or at least have a minimal impact for extended periods of time until something triggers population growth.

For husbandry details... I'd grab "The Savannah Monitor Lizard: The Truth About Varanus Exanthematicus " by Bennett and Thakooroyal and I'd immediately throw out everything that was said by Digby there. Anyone who tells you not to question the reasons for something they have told you simply isn't worth listening to.