FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Reptile Super Show???
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Belfry
Welcome to the community! I don't specifically know about California's shows. I would guess $15-30 on the low end. When buying make sure it's healthy, keep the breeder/seller's info, any info on the leo's lineage, what it's eating, and if there is a health guarantee.

As for controlling the heat pad, there are several options. A ReptiTemp Rheostat is available at shows and usually runs under $20. It basically is a glorified dimmer. You can also just pick up a plug-in lamp dimmer at a home improvement store ~$10. With a dimmer you would have to manually adjust it until you get the perfect temp inside the tank. It is not a good option if the temperature in the room fluctuates, because then you would have to adjust it quite often.

There are many options for good thermostats. A Zilla Temperature Controller would run you about $25-40. There is also the Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Sensor around the same price but I don't have any experience with that one. Both are typically available at reptile shows. Outside of the shows, the next cheap thermostat is the Hydrofarm Thermostat on Amazon.

From there you're looking at more expensive but better quality thermostats. Since you're controlling just one heat pad, the above a options should do the trick. You don't have to worry about paying more for one that's rated for a higher wattage, since the mats are low wattage.

Reptile shows/expos are a great experience and you really should go. Good Luck!