FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Changes in the way emails are being handled
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
WebSlave
I have issued notices to everyone I have received bouncedback emails from recently. I encourage everyone to keep their email addresses current and valid in their accounts here.

Some of the codes I see in the bounceback messages indicate that the email address was just pulled out of their, ahem, hat, and is purposely not valid. I will be considering this as an indicator of a spammer or scammer, and the account will be treated as such if the bogus email address is not soon corrected. Of course, some will just be spelling errors, as I saw a few that were obviously supposed to be gmail addresses, but the "g" got inadvertently dropped while typing it in. Unfortunately, if you spell the email address incorrectly upon registration, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it till I manually approve the account.

BTW, I audit all new registrations and often get some that are in a state of limbo awaiting the email verification process to be completed. Normally this indicates that the recipient did not receive that verification email, or it could be in their "trash" folder, depending on how strictly they have set them spam blocking options. Regardless, the email address has not been verified at that point, but rather than keep the prospective member in limbo, I tend to approve them manually if they do not appear to be a spammer or otherwise bogus. That being said, I will be analyzing them much more closely than I have in the past, and any that even hint at being bogus will be rejected.

Oh, FYI, if you try to update your old email address and keep getting a rather arcane seeming error message, just back up a page in your USER CP, and fill in ALL the blanks in your user profile. I had to make them all mandatory for entry rather recently in order to get a hack my programmer did for me in the member verification process to get it to work properly. So they are mandatory during initial registration AND when your profile details are edited later. The error message you get doesn't make that very clear, unfortunately.