FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Illinois state law issues
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Alias47
It goes much farther than not being able to buy birdfeed.

ANYONE that transfers any animal's ownership (regardless of compensation, which means even if you GIVE it away) MUST be licensed by the state...and are subject to inspection...records registration...and specifically ANNUAL veterinary checkups.
Some of the broad definitions that will be changed could also potentially outlaw rack systems (depending on interpretation of the law) and effectively stop all breeding in the state.

I could not afford to be a hobbyist breeder...and hopefully one day a commercial breeder if this act is revised. And neither could most people.
If you had to get EVERY animal a vet checkup previous to transfer...a $20 cornsnake just became a $120 dollar cornsnake. If I bred 50 corns and wanted to sell them all...it would cost me upwards of $5000 in vet and registration costs for these animals...which is ridiculous...this MUST be stopped.

I could not find a corresponding Illinois Senate Bill...and since this bill is being heard at a Agriculture and Conservation Committee hearing...I believe it is still in it's infancy...although the Committee Hearing IS next Wednesday...I urge anyone that is a resident of the state to contact your State Representative...I also contacted my State Senator to make him aware of any possible pending legislation.
I also wrote the Governor to let him know how I feel about this.

You can find your state official at this link: http://www.elections.state.il.us/dls...ddresscrit.asp

Sorry if any of this is redundant...I am trying to get the word to as many people as possible and have copied this statement I wrote for easy pasting.