FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Giant Snakes - A Natural History
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
codie
Giant Snakes - A Natural History

This is new book by John C. Murphy and Tom Crutchfield. Not only is the book highly informative and comprehensive, but it also deals with some of my personal pet peeves publicly and honestly. Finally the issue of ethics and morality are addressed openly. I have been preaching the same issues for a long time.
1. Regardless of the source (Escaped warehoused stock or released pets), the responsibity of the Florida python problem lies with the Herp community. Uninformed demand created irresponsible ownership. Giant snake are NOT for everyone!
2. Breeding many pythons is nothing more than a pyramid scheme destined to collapse, inevitably leaving someone holding the proverbial (snake) bag.
In both cases, the real victims are the snakes themselves. They wind up vilified by the general public, abandoned by frustrated owners, and treated as nothing more than product to moved for profit. We have forgotten the original reasons we were attracted to snakes in the first place.
I can not recommend this book highly enough. Even if you don’t agree with their thoughts on these issues, the information provided about the snakes themselves is invaluable. This is a “ must read” for any python enthusiast.