FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - California state law issues
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #9
Darin Chappell
Aside from the fact that the State has more important things to do than to dictate that pet owners have to be innundated with worthless pieces of paper (I say they're "worthless" because giving them out won't make a bad owner good, and good owners would have found out the same info on their own!), here's my problem with State-mandated care sheets being given out with each animal sold:

We're not selling toasters!

There isn't a care sheet in the world that can cover all of the various possibilities that go right or wrong with a newly acquired animal, because each one is different from all the others that could have been seleceted fromt he same table, let alone from a competitors. To have a care sheet that gives the basics about a particular species with each purchased INDIVIDUAL animal, may make some do-gooders in Sacramento feel better about themselves, but I doubt seriously that it will do much to change the way things really are int he long run.

To that end, let me just ad that any legislation that cannot make a real change in the real world is useless, and useless legislation is bad legislation. At best it will cause people wanting to effect real change to be ignored in the future because "we already have a law on the books about that subject;" at worst, it will propigate poorly worded and untrue information being handed out as State-approved care sheets.

Let me ask you this: With CA being the most litigious State of them all, how long do you suppose it will be before someone gets sued over their written contracts' (read that as "care sheet's") contents? If I buy an animal from you and it dies (never mind that I had it too close to the TV and the vibrations sent it over the edge), do you thinkI won't be scouring over that care sheet to see if you thought far enough in advance to cover all of the possible stupid things I might do to harm my new pet?

Watch out everyone!

:Puke:Legislation