FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The world’s biggest reptile fair is also a hub for traffickers
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by James L View Post
The article does have a negative biased tone towards herp keeping in my opinion. If I'm not mistaken, Tiliqua rugosa has been kept and bred in Germany for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
It certainly does have that negative tone that most article covering herp breeding has. The fact that the article didn't mention that shingle backed skinks has been bred in Germany by dedicated keepers gives it that typical, rotten outlook towards reptile breeders.

That's what journalists are trained and encouraged to do .... push bad news, put a negative spin on everything. Why spoil a good story with the facts ?
Both good points; the article should have been more interested in relaying the facts, rather than supporting the hypothesis given in the title of the piece.

It is worth mentioning that all Tiliqua rugosa in captivity (and all, or nearly all, Australian animals, for that matter) are either themselves smuggled or are the descendants of smuggled animals -- another point that may have been worth space in the article.

In fact, some were smuggled last week:

https://newsroom.abf.gov.au/releases...zard-smuggling

I think this is important enough that it bears repeating:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
If we want it cleaned we need to do it or the government will and probably not to our liking.