FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Venomoids, the right and the wrong.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #141
IMAJACOBIAN
Adder,

I have refrained from posting here because it is so controversial, but here it goes.

1) So, do you think they would prefer a major invasive surgury to be able to be handled, or rather have minimum handling via a hook. That surgury is not minor by any means. I work with a few rattlers and copperheads and will use a hook and maybe a hand on their tail depening on species, the size of the animal and their attitude. Usually they adjust to some handling, but not always. I wouldn't say they enjoy it, but they handle well. I'm sure I would prefer to be picked up with a hook than to have my head sliced and part of me removed if I were given a choice.

2) No matter how tame they are, void or not, I would never ever freehandle a hot. We force these animals into captivity and it is our duty to give them the best possible care, not selective surguries that cause pain and suffering. Even if that suffering is temporary, they should not be put through it.

3)I have read most of this thread, but not all of it. Has outgrowing the implants been addressed when doing surgury on a young growing snake. Does it involve multiple surguries through out it's life to correct this or is a shrunken or deformed head the way it goes.

4) lets make a comparison. Would anybody here remove the claws and teeth from a bengal tiger so it could be a "pet". Not I... I know that comparison is a stretch, but not too far. Like other animals, snakes are potentially dangerous wether it is a hot or a larger species of constrictor. We choose to work with potentially dangerous animals. If the risk is not worth it DO NOT MUTILATE YOUR POOR ANIMALS and work with something harmless.

5) Since you believe it's better for the animal to be voided for "proper" free-handling, can you post some pics up of the surgury being performed. If it doesn't make the animal suffer, then pics of this "minor" surgury can be provided to show they don't suffer from it.

I am not completly closed minded. If you can prove they don't suffer from the surgury, I may be swayed. I dont think it will happen though.

Jacob