FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adenovirus Document from University of Florida
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #87
RWood
Wow.

I have some questions and insights it seems everyone is overlooking in the chase for the truth...
1. If this virus didn't "magically appear" how did they contract it in the first place? It stands to reason that the infection started somewhere and somehow. Human HIV didn't just appear magically, it was created by accident in the race to find an inoculation for another disease. It is something that was environmentally introduced in captivity as it states Australia is not having problems there.... literally where they originated in the first place..... I could definitely see a chemical or additive processed in with the food they have marketed, introducing a new virus systematically, on accident of course... Come to think of it, one of the largest breeders in the 90s, Flukers Farms, was SAID to have dumped a bunch of sickly dragons to keep from eating a huge loss by way of dying stock... and if I'm not mistaken they were and still are a major player in reptile industry in the way of foods and products used by a lot of people. I have no proof of this but was told by several old school breeders the same thing.
I was also told that these sickly dragons husbandry was less than proper by far and way left of cleanliness... They bred crickets to sell and for their animals, it may have been introduced by that means as well... that would account for the virus taking hold of a dragon whose immune system was already low to begin with? I'm not a scientist, but 2+2 does in fact = 4...
2. The testing. Lord, really? Some of the tests are good for live dragons and others are better for deceased dragons... 2+2=4 Your vet can direct your INFORMED decisions on that topic...
3. Again, reasoning... There are millions of dollars being made on beardies alone, do you think humans are going to do the right thing over stacks of cash? Not historically speaking to say the least... Who do you think is going to admit, or for that matter, actually te.st for it and make that information public if it's bad news?
4. Stressors in enviorment... I agree with Tammie on the husbandry issue. 1 dragon, 1 cage. Cleaning and desensitization of the enclosures as an everyday routine. Know where their food is coming from, have regular fecals done to stay on top of parasites and worms... reasoning again suggests, dragons running in their own poop or another dragons is BAD! I mean maybe that's where the problem originated to begin with even... PRACTICE GOOD HUSBANDRY OR DON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS HOBBY... eliminate stressors in their e nviorment this way...
5. I had clutches of dragons that were believed to have had it. Roughly half the clutch would stop growing, eating and even drinking, becoming very lethargic and in a matter of less than a week I had multiple deaths. So, reasoning again, would suggest that it is passed into offspring from one or both parents. So, if you don't want to spread it, have breeders tested to make sure they don't have it... (this was 20 years ago mind you, so dont think i am actively breeding infected dragons thank you)
5. Why can't someone apply for a grant that would pay them to do some of this long term testing to pinpoint what exactly we are dealing with? This much passion about something will only turn up results if applied effectively... ( not to include misinformation and swatting each other in the mouth )

There's a couple things I didn't touch on but this is probably enough to get me bashed and further my descent in the downward spiral of "beardie politics"... maybe this is a dead thread, I don't know... just my 2 cents from a reasonable standpoint that was drawn from personal experience... oh and for the record, most viruses first enter the body by consumption p or blood to blood infection or being infected by a host...