FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Co-dominant vs Recessive Traits
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock View Post
Incomplete dominance and co-dominance are incredibly hard to distinguish, and in a lot of creatures look the same on the surface, and you can only tell on the microscopic level. Even that article you linked is misleading. A co-dominate flower for red and white will look the same as one with incomplete dominance more often that not.

I guess I did misspeak when I said all dominate alleles are co-dominate; Some can be strong enough to completely mask another genes expression.

I don't know if epistasis is a factor or not in snakes, but remember, it is not different alleles, but different genes. For the Labradors I mentioned, you look at 3 different genes total, writing the genotype as b/b;e/e;y/y where the b gene affects melanin amount, the e gene affects if they have the receptor to begin production of melanin, and y gene affects another pigment that is only noticed if melanin is not produced will make the coat either red or yellow.
My article is not misleading. It is citing fact. I think you need to step away from the Labrador comparison, its adding to the confusion, very poor comparison with what the OP is asking. A single species of snake can have dozens of different mutations that can effect color and pattern (Ball Pythons and Cornsnakes being the top two), all using different modes of inheritance and physical expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock View Post
Ok, I can't edit my above message, but after looking at that cornsnake morph gallery, the ones listed as double and triple recessive are most likely due to epistasis, in that they had to be recessive in multiple genes to have that morph expressed.
We don't use the terminology "epistasis," you are just causing more confusion. When more then one morph is expressed it's simply called a combination. It clearly states what makes up each one of those combination morphs on each individual page.

Travis, I noticed something else with your initial post...

Super Pastel x Albino = Pastels het Albino

This is because you're breeding Homozygous Incomplete Dominant to Homozygous Recessive. To produce Super Pastels that are het Albino, both parents must be expressing Pastel in some way (whether Pastel or Super Pastel).

Piebald x Piebald = Piebalds

This is because you are breeding Homozygous Recessive to Homozygous Recessive.