FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Inquiry Randy Betz, rbetz-Tortstork Tortoise Eggs
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #22
GardenStateTortoise
It works. Plain and simple. In the beginning I was skeptical being a chelonian assurance facility/breeder and conservationist myself, but I decided to try this purely out of my own curiosity. It actually worked flawlessly based on how Mr. Betz shipped the eggs and given the fact that tortoise eggs can be jumbled and turned quite a bit for several days after being laid. Once settled in an appropriate incubation medium/temperature/humidity setting, the eggs chalked and developed. They hatched without issue. This was accomplished with Russian and Asia Minor tortoises. I can’t say I’m all that surprised though. Dealing with eggs on a daily basis here, we’ve come to the realization that they are not all that sensitive until development is initiated. On top of this, we run a Diamondback terrapin nesting project through the NJ division of fish and wildlife where we are constantly transporting eggs throughout the season from danger zones into safe areas and artificial incubation. The eggs all handle the transport just fine.

This is merely my experience with this, take it however you choose to.