FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Captive born vs. wild caught
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
If you have the extra $$$ for a CB blue tongue, go for it. I agree totally with Theresa. Bottom line: there's no real advantage to getting WC other than perhaps adding new blood to a breeding colony.

All that said, you will definitely find that the vast majority of BTS out there are indeed WC imports, and that likely isn't going to change soon. The truth is that these skinks have a very slow reproductive rate, and they're almost impossible to sex. Females give live birth to an average of 3 babies, so even for those who are lucky enough to peg down adult breeding pairs, they're not going to be cranking out hundreds of baby BTS every year. High demand + low supply = rather pricey CBB blue tongued skinks.

IMHO, blue tongues are one of the most durable and resilient lizards I can think of, which is one reason I like them so much. Of course, I'm not saying you should deliberately abuse them or anything, but they very hardy and have been known to tolerate occasional faults in husbandry. Consequently, a WC specimen, if already fairly healthy and you get it dewormed, can make a great pet.