FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - paint for terrarium recommend
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
hotlips
Can't help you with a brand, but suggest you look for one that specifically says "non-toxic", safe for children's nursery & pets when dry, and "NO VOC". VOC stands for "volatile organic compounds"- ie. the toxic off-gassing from the product in question.

Most paints & stains seem dry but continuously leach out (off-gas) tiny amounts of harmful chemicals for a LONG time, which are quite harmful when contained in an animal's cage for them to breathe 24/7. (they aren't good for us either but we're bigger & take longer to get cancer etc)

Anyway, why would you want to 'paint' over natural objects? What I'd do is use a clear water-proofing product to seal them. I don't recall the brand I used, it's been some years, but they DO make safe (no VOC) ones, you have to ask &/or read labels. That way the decor still looks natural but wood withstands the humidity or "reptile output".
Rocks are quite washable just as they are, I wouldn't bother with them, they are easily disinfected.
All these items still have countless crevices that bacteria & contamination can take hold in, of course, but it helps if branches don't absorb moisture & can be washed and disinfected.