FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Indigo snakes in captivity.
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
thesnakeman
Well, maybe not you and I, but man kind in general has screwed up the natural habitat, and most likely the captive gene pool. And we, the voting public, have put the powers that be where they are. And we, the consumers, have created the marketplace as it is. So we need to get busy, and start paying closer attention to what, and how we do it. Cross breeding of indigos with any other species, should be a crime. Inbreeding of indigos should not be tolerated by the captive breeders. And morphs or mutants which display freakish colors should not be bred. We must never allow the captive indigo gene pool to go the way of the ball python, or the red rat snake, {corn snake}. Let us make sure that we never, ever see a creamsickle, snow, pie ball mutant indigo!

There was a time when I would have considered creating a hybrid texas/eastern. Believe it or not. My thinking was that it would create a new species, free from government regulation and control. An indigo which could be had by anyone, anywhere, without any government involvement. But having worked with this species, and seeing what it takes to obtain breeding success, understanding the challenges faced by the captive population and the wild population,...I now know better.

So what must we do then? First we must organize. Next we must vote. Next we must pressure the powers that be for better legislation. And we must educate people, and win the hearts and minds of folks like Angela Williams. They need to know that we, the captive indigo community, isn't going away, and that we do care about the fate of this species as a whole. They need to know that these animals are much more than just exotic pets. In this house at least, they are family members. And when the last wild indigo is gone, all we'll have left is the captive population. We simply must do better. And people who are opposed to keeping indigos in captivity need to get over it.
T.