FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Selective spider breeding
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #126
David Reid
Here is my take:

Spiders as a single morph are very attractive animals. As combo morphs, they produce amazing looking crosses. In my opinion, some of the nicest crosses out there involve the Spider.

I was late getting into the Spider morph, and finally aquired one female in a trade in 06. I requested one that did not wobble, and that is what I got. The original female I got in 06 did not wobble as a baby, but as she grew, she started to "bob" her head up and down when feeding. She is a calm animal still, only bobbing a bit when she is hunting her rat down.

In 2008, when she was 1800 grams, I bred her to my Sulfur Mojave male. I got a Spider, Sulfur Spider, and what I believe is a Sulfur Mojave Spider. I kept the two crosses. As babies, they showed ZERO signs of wobbling. As yearlings, they do the head bob thing the mom does. They do not tie themselves in knots, and when you hold them, they are normal as can be. When they think they are getting food, the do the head bob.

I have heard some people say the Spiders are just like the Caramels and Super Womas, and I do not see it that way. I would never buy, nor sell a Kinked Caramel, but I have no problems breeding the Spiders. I honestly think all Spiders exhibit the wobble or bob to a certain extent. I think it is in their genetic code, and doubt it will ever be bred out. So, if you do not like Spiders, don't buy them. If you are a savvy buyer, and want a Spider, ask the breeder for a non wobbler, or see them in person before buying.

To me, my Sulfur Spider is a gorgeous animal, and calm, and tame when being held. So she gets really excited when she eats, so do I

Dave