FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Gregg Madden and Joe Schmidt
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #15
JimM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesareawesome View Post
Anyone whose first response to a disease outbreak is trying to figure out who all knows so they can keep word from getting out is someone to avoid. The right way to handle a disease outbreak is to inform anyone who may have received those animals so they can take measures to protect their collections and begin any needed testing services. More and more animals are going to get tested all the time. More and more vets are familiar with reptiles as are more and more pathologists and this does not bode well for people who are trying to hide dirty collections.

Wishful thinking, Kevin. Some who are really serious about their animals and not just the money and have concerns will do it, but most who breed for money will not test because there's a good chance their stuff has crypto and we all know what the only 'treatment' for crypto is. How many vendors at the shows do you really think would have their animals tested multiple times for crypto before putting them up for sale ??

How about Fauna, Kingsnake and the promoters of the shows requiring all sellers to provide proof of a recent, clean fecal for their animals before they're allowed to be put on the market for sale ??

Yes, I meant that as a joke. That would be impossible ... it'll never happen. That would shut down the whole herp hobby quicker than Fish and Game keep trying to do with the new laws and restrictions they impose on us every year. Many years ago someone tried to run a very clean, professional show with only CBB animals and a vet inspection but it didn't pan out ... good intentions but it's just wasn't possible .

Not saying that's the way it should be and I agree with you. I'm saying that's the way it is and will always be ... if not worse ... even though there is more known about reptile diseases and treatment than ever before. It's gotten too big, too much revolves around the money and there are too many in this for the quick buck and not from a life long interest in the animals as it was almost 50 years ago when I started.

I've seen a few dedicated, breeders on Fauna good honest to have animals tested for nidovirus prior to selling animals they produce, but they are far and few between. Crypto needs a few tests ... one test for crypto coming back negative doesn't mean anything. How many people you think are really going to do that before selling something they want to sell ?

And it's unfortunate that something as bad and common as crypto still has no treatment. The sad truth is that for most people the 'treatment' for crypto is to unload the infected animal(s) at the next show.