FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - preparation?
Thread: preparation?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by constrictorcrazi74
99.9% off venomous snakes are extremely agressive just my oppinion
While I am sure this expression of your opinion is well-intentioned, I have to disagree with it. I have kept a fair number of venomous reptiles over the years (approx 35 species total; and at one time, the "hot" portion of my collection was larger in number and diversity than the group of animals currently under my care), and I can count on one hand - without even using all 5 fingers - the ones I considered truly aggressive. That is not to say that I considered them tame, or even that they wouldn't have bitten me if I made a mistake...just that they didn't fit the definition of aggressive.
characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offensives, attacks, invasions, or the like
Take the vast majority of venomous reptiles, put them in a situation where they are not closely confined and 5-6 ft away from a person that is not threatening them...what will they do? The vast majority will either sit still or move away from the person (you will find the occasional errant behavior, wherein the snake moves toward, then past the person). Very rarely, if there are other choices, will the animal choose, instead, to attack the person. Put the person closer, making the situation more threatening to the snake, and you will start to see different behaviors. Getting too close, especially if it involves any sort of contact (even with a hook), and you have added provocation. So called aggressive behavior at that point is simply self defense.