FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Need help with small claims court evidence
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
anilaky
Need help with small claims court evidence

First, read this:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=622960

Second, I am going today to pick up my animals from the lady that killed my gecko. I intend to use this meeting to collect potential evidence/documentation in case I do not receive reimbursement for the items below:
A) $50 to cover boarding fee for half a month (the geckos were only with her two weeks so I think giving me half of my boarding fee for this month is fair)
B) $100 for the gecko that she killed

Here is my plan:
The lady offered to replace my gecko. I told her I wasn't ready for a new gecko yet. Today when I visit her I intend to have a video recording. I will start the video by taping where I am, the location, etc. I will then put my phone face down and record just audio.
She doesn't know I'm taking them today so I will start by asking my fiancé to take the empty gecko cage to the car. Then I will ask her "you remember how you offered to replace my gecko" to which she will say yes and then I will tell her how I am not ready for a new gecko at the moment but paying for the one I lost would be best, and tell her the dollar value of the gecko I lost ($100). I will explain to her that this is the least expensive option as getting a new gecko requires paying for shipping, usually about $50-$60 as well as the new gecko (probably in the $100-$150 range). Let's say for the sake of argument that she will agree to this.
Then I will tell her that I don't think the boarding is working out and that I am going to take my animals back into my possession. At this point I will have my fiancé start bringing the animals and their cages to the car. I will ask her if she can reimburse me for 2 weeks of boarding - since we agreed to $100 a month (I have written documentation of that) and she only had them for 2 weeks if I can have the $50 back for the other two weeks.
Don't know if she will agree to that or not. Again, let's say she does and she doesn't have the money at the moment. I will give her my address and ask her to send a cashiers check to my home address and if I don't get it within 1 month (July 14, 2017) that I will take her to small claims court.

I know that this is a lot of what-ifs. But what other documentation should I provide the court if it ends up going this route? I know this is a small sum of money but I am a college kid and every little bit of money is necessary.