FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - *** A word to the wise, I was ripped off***
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #10
WebSlave
The shipping of junk in a box is an age old scam used in those cases where the items are being sent C.O.D.  Bricks are often used where the item the 'customer' is expecting should have some weight to it.  UPS or whatever delivers the package and will not allow you to open it until you have paid for it (in most cases).  So you hand the driver the money, he hands you the box, and he drives off while you go to open it up.  Once you find the bricks inside, it is your word against the shipper's as to what was actually in the box.

I had someone send me an expensive camera lens C.O.D. via UPS, and what I did was to pay via VERY small bills.  I had counted it out before hand, and handed the wad of bills to the driver. While the driver was counting out the money, I opened the box right there in case there were a problem so he would be a witness.  Of course, I understand that UPS no longer accepts cash, so I will have to think of something new.  Of course, my UPS driver and I always chew the fat when he delivers stuff, so I'm sure he would be glad to hang around while I opened the box in front of him.

This does bring up an interesting point about this sort of thing.  It may be wise to have a witness present when you open up your boxes.  Otherwise you will really have no proof about what you got in the box.  Jeff, if this guy Jason claims there were actually snakes in that box, do YOU have proof that there were not?  This could get rather messy.