FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Finding BIG Black Rats
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 01:35 AM   #5
Karen Hulvey
Oh man that story makes me sick. Why can't people just walk away from animals they're scared of?

Last summer my neighbor was mowing his lawn, which is a field no less. He'd mow a while and then shoot a gun, mow a couple more minutes and then shoot a gun. He did this 3 times. Finally I went up to his house to see what he was shooting. OMG I about died.

He held up a black snake that was a good 6' with it's head blown off. He said lookey at what I killed, the biggest copperhead I ever seen. He wouldn't believe me when I told him what it was. Then he held up a prairie kingsnake that was all of 10" and mostly blown to bits. It was a copperhead too.

Next was a common snapping turtle, about 9" SVL with a hole through it's head. He actually said: That turtle was hissing at me and trying to bite me. My reply was: I guess the turtle was too fast for you to get away from.

I told him it's best to just leave these animals be and walk away from them. Or in his case, ride his lawnmower in a different direction. He doesn't want them in "his yard" which is a 10 acre field. He moved to the country, we live WAAAY out of town just above the St. Francis River. I moved here because there would be wildlife. I don't know why he moved here because he's afraid of everything.

I called the conservation department and reported his wonton killing but as far as I know they didn't even come out to see what he did.

Just last month he dumped a dead coyote on my property. He drove past my house (with me home) and dumped it. After he left, I went down there to see what he did and found that the coyote had been shot. It had a huge hole in its neck and it's hindquarters were nearly torn off by a gunshot wound. Conservation Dept said since it's coyote season it wasn't illegal to kill one and they weren't coming out to check his hunting license. So I placed the dead coyote on his porch. Happy hunting to him.