FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Michigan's Right to Farm
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
If I lived in town and a new neighbor bought the house next to me and raised chickens and roosters,I'd be shooting those rooster daily. And than it's an on going issue with owners of those chickens.
I think you have summarized the conflict in just a few sentences. The Right To Farm Act protected farmers when people moved to the country, bought a home right next to a farm, and all of a sudden found out that farm animals can make noise and some of them can smell. They 'came to the nuisance' and so were out of luck with their complaints; and this was codified with the Farm Act.

But when suburban farmers start up a farm, the residents in the area were already there, they didn't 'come to the nuisance', and some of them don't want to be downwind from a pig sty.

It is in my opinion unfortunate that these conflicts were settled by government instead of efforts for the neighbors to come to an understanding.
I am very much for families being able to grow produce and raise food. For one thing, we all gain when that happens. Those who are poor can grow and raise some of their food, and we can all have less tax dollars pay for food assistance.