FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What happened to my milk snake?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #28
hotlips
Back to your first post, quote: ..."I did notice her soaking but I know I have a minor humidity problem....so I thought nothing of it.....She appeared to be in shed for a few days before i found her dead.... How could I miss a mite problem until death?"

Soaking is often a sign of mites (you missed that alarm bell) and most of us ignore our snakes for a few days when we know they are in shed. That was enough time for them to explode exponentially, & suck enough blood to cause her death, sadly. It's not as if they have to drain all of her blood either...only enough to cause her heart & circulatory system to fail. I know how bad it feels to realize you missed something but we're all human & we learn from our mistakes. No one is trying to beat you up here but at the same time, we would appreciate the same courtesy from you, ya? The photo showing the mites on her IS severe enough to have killed her and I'm betting you'll be more vigilant in the future. I hope, really & truly hope, that none of your other snakes have mites...but I wouldn't bet on it, not after such an outbreak as that. Mites are tiny, very hard to see at first, & they can hide under scales...but they grow fast & the blood they suck makes them more visible. By then, it can be too late.