FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Discus Won't School - Need Help Introducing Them
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Night10gail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon c. Snelling View Post
Two discus is pretty much a recipe for disaster. You need more than two so the aggression is spread out.
I'm starting to realize this. I got a male female pair per the suggestion of breeders who keep their discus is just groups of two. I was only going to get 1 for my display tank but most of the care sheets said always buy at least 2 as they are a PEACEFUL SOCIAL FISH that need the company of at least 1 other discus. Semi-aggressive (to same species) fish is more like it like Rainbow Sharks (aggressive to each other but generally not other tank mates). I've had schooling fish before even ones semi-aggressive within their group of their species but I've had them be much less persistent in groups of just 2 and even got some to school with other schoolers not of the same species. I'd have room only for a 3rd yet but I've been advised against that and been told that my pigeon blood may just be overly aggressive for a discus so adding even 5 more wouldn't help.