FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - SFD (Snake Fungal Disease) General Discussion.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 04:08 AM   #12
Logan256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
For the water snakes, if you want to increase vitamin intake is there a good way to someone inject or "gut load" the vitamins into their feeders so that you're not stressing the snake?
This is one thing that I'm very interested in discussing with my vet. Most of those vitamins serve to boost the immune system, which I feel could lead to more efficient healing. The only drawback I can think of is the food item itself - if the snake is a rodent eater, it seems pretty straight forward. I've never tried to inject anything into a f/t fish, but I doubt it would be as agreeable.

Quote:
I noticed that bleach is mentioned a lot for disinfecting equipment and field tools, but I prefer not to use it in my snake enclosures unless they have a long time to dry even after I rinse them. It would be nice to know alternatives like F10SC or even a UV-C light are effective, and the concentration needed to kill the spores.
I've been looking for information on this and can't seem to find any - bleach seems to be the only rock-solid solution. Hopefully as more research is done we'll learn more. It may also help to see if there's any information on similar fungus spores and how those react to those (or any) alternatives.

Quote:
Speaking of the spores, is it even known if they're only ground-based or can they go airborne?
All I can say to this is that I hope they're strictly ground based.