FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Gig economy
Thread: Gig economy
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Herpin Man
I, too, have somewhat mixed feelings on gig jobs. As the economy was recovering from the downturn a few years ago, I had some catching up to do, so I worked three jobs for a period of two and a half years. One of those jobs was a "gig"; I did underwriting inspections. I was technically self employed, but I had to follow some very strict guidelines in order to be paid. The pay was a set fee per case, but the cases varied quite a bit with respect to the distance I had to drive, and the amount of time I had to put in to each. Mileage, time, expenses- all on me. The pay didn't change just because my "employer" sent me a longer distance to handle a time consuming headache. If I missed a measurement or photo, I had to go back out, at my own expense. Some days I did ok, some days I lost money. But it was extra cash at a time that I needed it, and the work itself came easily to me. In the long run, I felt that I was doing little more for myself than exchanging the equity in my vehicle for cash, with the miles I was putting on.
I do feel that most of these "gig" arrangements heavily favor the employer, and prey upon the desperation of the "independent contractor", but as you pointed out, people do it willingly, and I suspect that most eagerly quit when they find something better.