FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #49
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
Good luck with your snake, sorry you're having so much trouble!
Thanks Toby, it helps a lot to talk it out over here though.

Well, while he hasn't bounced straight back to great health, yesterday was better than the day before and I'm hoping today will be better again.

I finished the 30-day course of antibiotic injections just over a week ago (and just in time, I think, he was beginning to object to them, and I know how grotty I felt when I had to take a long-term antibiotic course), and then I had to go away for 5 days. I left him, feeling a bit apprehensive, but hoping that 5 uninterrupted days might brighten him up a bit.

When I got back he was not looking great - lying very flat and lethargic, certainly not interested in food, and very jumpy when touched (unusual for him). I had decided that I was going to try getting his stuck eye-caps off with cotton buds and forceps, and, as he has now lost 400 gms (13% of his normal 3 kg body weight), force feed him egg yolk through a flexible pipette. These are measures I don't take lightly, so I was not feeling too cheerful as I got everything ready.

I was VERY happy when I opened his tub though, as I found he was already half-way through trying to shed. I abandoned my plans, and instead gave him a 30 minute soak followed by a towel bath, and managed to get his skin off, including eye-caps. His eyes are now clear and moving, and I think it's the first time he's been able to see clearly for weeks. He also passed a large amount of urate and a little bit of faeces as I was making him move around so that's a good sign too.

Today he has been actively moving around his tank, and drinking quite a lot, so tonight I am going to try feeding him again. Hopefully being able to see the food will make a difference. If not, he's getting egg yolk whether he likes it or not.

I'll update again tomorrow. Thanks to all for asking!