FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy CCSB Reptile Rescue- Chad Griffin
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #57
AML4912
#report animal abuse

Hi,
I bought a snake for my son’s birthday from a different breeder in the Kernersville area. I thought we could walk around The rescue in Kernersville. The store was small and not well lit. The first thing that greeted us were signs offering pictures with an alligator or albino (Burmese, I think) for a certain price. To the left was a large land tortoise in an enclosure about the area of a twin bed mattress. Every cage contained the same sand for substrate regardless of the species. Chad asked us if we were looking for anything in particular and I told him we were just curious. We loved reptiles and had just picked up my son’s b-day present. When he found out I bought from someone else, he made a face. Then a young man (I guess his son) proceeded to tell us how the breeder I had used was known for sick animals and snake mites. Chad started regaling me about how much he knew, what an expert he was, how he trained police officers, zoos, and vets because they were so stupid. Then he said if I had any problems with my son’s snake just let him know. I informed him that I am an experienced owner and can handle “problems” myself. (As I have successfully treated mites, respiratory infections, and rescued a mouth rot victim.) What I couldn’t do was save all the animals in that store. Unfortunately, he does have relationships with police etc so getting him cited or jailed for cruelty is going to have to come from at least outside the city limits.

Now, a note about Repticon. There are good breeders there and there are crooks. I noticed in Raleigh, there were a number of tables only selling very small snakes or lizards in the little plastic containers like they had just been unpacked from shipping. If there were no snakes or lizards of varying size offered, I guessed that these were not breeders actually and the animals had not been checked once they were received in the mail, nor had they been fed, or given water. It was all about profit. Repticon is neat for being able to see a wide variety of animals, but you really have to be careful about who you are dealing with. I actually look at the list of venders ahead of time, visit their websites, and check for reviews. There are even snakes mislabeled. You just really have to know your stuff and be very discerning.

Chad’s rescue sounds like it is wonderful and he is very out-going and cocky, but he doesn’t treat animals well or provide proper conditions for them.

Angelia Lawrence