FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The PROOF that venomoid snakes are not safe!`
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #75
devenomized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stonegate View Post
OK, Mr. Reina. I'd like to ask a couple questions. One personal, one philosophical.

Why do you think it is a good thing to do this to venomous reptiles? I'm curious about your motivation. Why do you spend time writing posts? I know that is a bit blunt, but it is a sincere question.

Second question: Who (or what) benefits from this? What benefit to society, the animals, and the people who buy them does this provide?
Well, I really haven't been very active on these boards. I've been really busy in my personal and professional life and i have a little bit of time before I start another long term committment to complete a graduate program. In my free time, I like to spend time with the family, and look at some boards that I haven't looked up for years. Back in 2004 I spent a lot of time building my website and I thought I did a good job at providing information to people. My #1 motivation is to promote an alternative for reptile hobbysts who are interested in venomous snakes. Even though I do help Dr. Sabatini run his table, I designed his website, and I do consider him a friend, what I have done with my website has nothing to do with his business. I'm not an employee, I do not get paid, and I don't get anything for posting here.

When I was a little kid I always wanted to work with snakes, I wanted to be a herpetologist since I was about 8 or 10 yrs old. However, my life took a different turn and I'm information security officer which is a lot different from a herpetologist. When I learned about venomoids, I was extremely interested in these procedures and how such magnificent animals can now be studied and kept in captivity in a safe manner. It was that facination with venomoids back in 2002-2003 that gave me the energy to learn about them and create my website as well as post information here and in other websites. I strongly believe it is only an option for buyers, an alternative, a choice. I also believe that it promotes safety if done by a licensed DVM. I have seen people that have come to us at Hamburg with missing fingers that have given use their venomous collections and asked if we could devenomize their snakes. Normally Dr. Sabatini doesn't do that at all, but he has done it for some people. It is somethin to admire to see an individual so passionate about venomous snakes and happy to receive his venomoid horn viper which bit him and the reason this person is missing a finger. I love snakes, ball pythons, large constrictors and arboreals, but i think venomous snakes are the most amazing of all. I truly think a venomoid is an option that people should consider.

I think there is a monetary benefit for Dr. Sabatini as well as other licensed vets or people who have been performing these complicated procedures. Although, I know in the case of Raymond Hoser in Australia, the guy behind a huge petition against venomoids, he truly is passionate about what he does. His philosophy is different and I do not agree with him, but I only hope as a non-licensed individual with tremendous experience that he considers getting certified or getting some type of licensed to make his practice more legitimate.

I think venomoids provide a significant benefit to reptile hobbysts who want to keep these animals because is legal but they keep them as pets. I think it is another safety precaution in addition to several precaution already in place by people who own hots. I have a lot of respect for people who have worked with hots and who choose to keep them. I know they follow protocols to keep teh snakes safe as well as their families and communities. I just believe that a venomoid is an added protection and it helps mitigate the risk.

I also think venomoids are great alternatives at zoos. I think a zoo can mitigate the risk associated with the potential incidents of an envenomization by using venomoids. Dr. Sabatini has sold numerous venmoids to Zoos in the USA, Canada, and Latin America. YOu will be very surprised to see the number of animals that are sold online and outside ofthe hamburg show. there are people that want venomoids but due to all these discussions and opinions they want to stay quiet about it. I don't think like that. Venomoids by licensed vets are not against the law and I strongly see them as an alternative and I think I have the right to express my opinion, accept others, and understand other points of view.

Finally, the number one reason as ironic as it sounds based on our recent discussions about a document that seems more confusing at defining what Gary and Mr. Moore want to read, the #1 benefits of venomoids is added safety to our community, our reptile owners, and I know the venomoid snakes do fine in captivity although the surgery is invassive.

the snake needs about 2 weeks to heal before feeding.

anyway, sorry for the long reply.